Approximate time to complete this lesson: 10 minutes.
Lesson 3.1 Video
Begin Lesson 3.1 by watching this video (3 minutes, 21 seconds)
Review of Lesson 3.1
- Disconnect and remove drive shafts.
- Undo bolts at rear yolk.
- Drop down and slide out of transmission.
- Place in appropriate area.
- Remove transmission cross member.
- Remove Engine cross member.
- Undo lower motor mounts.
- Remove lower rad hose. Ensure there is a proper catchment container for residual fluids.
- Undo transmission cooling lines at radiator and transmission.
- Disconnect transmission linkage. Wire harness and connectors should never be cut always unbolt or disconnect.
- Disconnect fuel lines at injection (engine side).
- Disconnect wire harness and engine control modules. Wire harness and connectors should never be cut always unbolt or disconnect.
- Automatic and standard transmissions will have different linkages and lines to disconnect and remove.
- Always have catchment containers for fluids as you remove parts.
- Any damage should be noted on the work order.
- Universal bolts should be placed back in so you don’t lose them.
- The drive shaft should not be broken or crooked.
- The strips must not be damaged.
- Wiring and connectors should be in good condition.
- If 4×4 there will be a transfer case that will need to be separated.
- Replace bolts as required to keep area clear of debris.
- Specific Tools include a hoist, axle stands, hydraulic jack.
- Have required tools nearby for better organization.
Health & Safety:
- Standard PPE applies
- Risks: It is important that you ensure that the vehicle is secure and balanced because of the considerable weight changes caused by the removal of the parts.
The next lesson (topic) is Hose & Radiator Removal