Approximate time to complete this lesson: 10 minutes.
Lesson 3.3 Video
To begin Lesson 3.3, watch this video (3 minutes, 05 seconds).
Review of Lesson 3.3
- Remove hood.
- Prepare for engine removal by removing:
– Washer Fluid Reservoir
– Air cleaner
– Battery Tray
- Attach necessary chains to engine and engine hoist.
- Ensure that chains are properly connected to ensure that nothing is damaged during lift.
- Undo upper and lower motor mounts.
- Secure loose hoses and wire away from engine transmission assembly.
- Remove engine transmission assembly.
- Place assembly on drain.Bottom drop
- Lift Vehicle Slowly.
- Set up a recovery table under engine/transmission assembly.
- Ensure everything is out of the way before lifting hoist.
- Place engine on push cart.
- Do not allow anything to enter intake manifold.
- The frost plug must be in place.
- Removal of the engine should be slow and gradual. Abrupt, shaking, or jerking motions should be avoided.
- Asses for any damage:
– Cracked mounts
– Excessive leaks
- Place in catchment area.
- The engines in some vehicles may be lowered from the bottom.
- See management for specific procedures.
- Basic tools required.
Health & Safety:
- Standard PPE applies. At a minimum, be sure to wear safety glasses, steel-toed boots.
- Ensure that the vehicle is secure.
- Get assistance if required.
The next lesson (topic) is Rear Axle Assembly